Wonders and flavours of Zadar
Shore excursion from port of Zadar, Croatia
- Duration 5h
- Activity level low
What you'll do
Our english speaking guide will meet you at the port of Zadar.
Departure in the heart of the beautiful city of Zadar, a small settlement dating back about three thousand years and today epicenter of Dalmatian culture. The old town is a network of narrow streets with many monuments, its Roman forum and the ramparts surrounding the city.
Our visit begins with the Saint Anastasia's Cathedral, whose sarcophagus is located in the apse, at the top of the altar. This cathedral is one of the great works of Romanesque art.
Continuing our walk, we will contemplate the church of St Donat built in the ninth century. It is the most impressive church in the eastern Adriatic with its circular plan and three naves.
To the east we find St. Mary's Church, a twelfth-century Romanesque structure built by the Croatian-Hungarian king Koloman. The church has a tower with a steeple and a convent on the top floor; rooms are opened to the public and house a collection of relics and other items of great value.
After our visit, we will have the opportunity to visit the permanent exhibition of religious art entitled "Zadar Gold and Silver"; the exhibition is composed of works of gold and silver from the eighth century to the Baroque; we will also find exhibitions by the famous writer Miroslav Krleza.
During our journey, we will see the "salute to the sun", the work of the architect Nikola Basic; This curious object consists of a circle of glass whose shape and composition allow it to absorb the sun's rays during the day; at night, it creates an impressive set of lights.
We will see another of the works of the same architect: "The organ of the sea", an experimental musical instrument. It consists of hollow tubes, camouflaged by marble steps and which, in contact with the sea's waves, emit notes of music. This book gives the coast of Zadar a modern and elegant image, while offering citizens and tourists a place of rest and relaxation to contemplate the sea.
Our visit will end with a tasting of Marascino liquor (a typical Zadar liqueur) that we can taste at the Arsenal tavern located in the old town of Zadar, near the harbor. The Marascino liquor has a tradition of almost 400 years, it is the best known of Dalmatia; It is a sweet and sour liqueur seasoned with Marasca cherries; This type of cherries grow in Dalmatia and mainly around the city of Zadar.
- The guided tour will last about 3 hours and we will walk a large part on uneven ground (about 100 steps); therefore, this tour is NOT suitable for people with reduced mobility, wheelchairs or strollers.
- At the end of the visit, you will have about 2 hours of free time to continue to discover this beautiful city by yourself.
- The order of visits may vary.
- The guide will show the time and meeting point for the return to port.
- MARASCHINO TASTING & small salty snack - € 6.00 per person (approx. 6.5USD)
- Juice is served to minors
- St Anastasia and St. Donat € 2.50 (approx. 3USD)
- Exhibition - Gold and Silver of Zadar € 3.50 (approx. 4,50USD)
- Easy / Panoramic / Cultural Level
- Please wear appropriate clothing in the places to be visited (churches)
- Comfortable shoes required
- This excursion is NOT suitable for people with reduced mobility or people traveling with wheelchairs or baby strollers, due to irregular terrain.
|2023||Group of 3 people|
|2023||Group of 6 people|
|2023||Group of 19 people|
|2023||Group of 49 people|
|2023||Group of 59 people|
|2024||Group of 3 people|
|2024||Group of 6 people|
|2024||Group of 19 people|
|2024||Group of 49 people|
|2024||Group of 59 people|